Up: Simulation And Experimentation
Previous: Source Code
In early 1997, Mark Russinovich wrote an article for
Windows NT Magazine on disk defragmentation. On his
web site, there is source code for a command line
disk defragmentation utility. It is not full featured
as it relies on user interaction.
It has three features.
- it has a command for displaying the free space
on a disk.
- it has a command for displaying what clusters are
used by a specific file.
- it has a command for moving clusters of a file
from one place to another.
When executed, Mr. Russinovich's program accepts
- b [StartLcn] list unallocated clusters
on the disk
- n <PathName> list used clusters for
- m <PathName> <startVcn> <TargetLcn>
<NumVcns> move clusters for specified file